Also available in: Español
- Materials needed to make a CUBE Crochet Toiletry Bag
- Techniques needed to make a CUBE Crochet Toiletry Bag
- How to crochet the Tapestry CUBE Toiletry Bag
For a while I longed to make a crochet toiletry bag with the tapestry technique and today, I finally made it!
On this occasion, the peculiarity of this project is that it combines a crochet fabric with a technique to assemble the toiletry bag, which we usually see in the field of sewing. This way of assembling our crochet toiletry bag will give us a three-dimensional cube-shaped case.
I searched the internet for crochet tapestry bags, and I was very impressed by the fact that they were all flat, in the shape of an envelope, or with circular or tubular shapes, so today I wanted to contribute my own vision and bring crochet to another terrain to obtain a different result.
Materials needed to make a CUBE Crochet Toiletry Bag
Today’s project is one of those I call a “yarn eater”. It will be perfect to get rid of those remaining yarns we all have at home and give them a new life. You will need:
- Cotton yarn for 2.5 mm needles. I have chosen to make the crochet toiletry bag in 5 colors, but you can do it using only 3. Surely in this project you see a lot of the Rainbow Romper... 😜
- Crochet hook number 2.75 mm or C. The one you see in the images is my all-time favorite, Clover Soft Touch. I bought it from Amazon several years ago and I cannot live without it.
- 20 cm. long zipper My sincere opinion is, do not skimp on zippers… It will give a distinctive touch to your bag and It will take it to another level if you choose a pretty one.
- Pins. The ones you see in the images are the cutest thing ever. You can find them by clicking here.
- Optional. Thread, needle, and a sewing machine. You can also sew it by hand, either using the cotton thread or normal thread.
You will also need the Crochet Toiletry Bag Pattern that you can make in two different sizes:
Techniques needed to make a CUBE Crochet Toiletry Bag
To carry out today’s project you will need to know a little bit about the Tapestry technique. Since there is a lot written and recorded about this technique, I will not stop to explain how to crochet using threads of various colors, but rather I will refer you to a couple of videos where you can easily learn this technique.
- First you should learn the basics of the Jaquard fabric (or tapestry) watching this video.
- Then you should know how to apply this type of crocheting to a flat or straight pattern (instead of crocheting in the round) watching this other video.
How to crochet the Tapestry CUBE Toiletry Bag
1. Crochet the base of the CUBE toiletry bag
To start making our crochet bag we will have to chain of 53 stitches and add 1 more height stitch.
In the first row we will crochet 53 stitches and on the third row we will begin to incorporate the threads of different colors.
Crochet following the pattern and forming the figure.
In the 12th row we will begin to shape our fabric. Start by crocheting the row normally until you only have 12 stitches to reach the end, then it will be time to stop and turn your work. In the row 13 repeat the same operation, in this way, you will get to continue working only with the 29 central stitches.
When the diagram requires you to increase the number of stitches, you must make a crochet chain of 12 stitches + 1 height stitch and turn your work to crochet these new stitches along with the others. In the next row, repeat the same operation and you will have managed to obtain the 53 stitches from which you started.
Continue crocheting the pattern respecting color changes and increases and decreases as requested. At the end, you will see that your fabric will have this peculiar shape.
2. Sew the zipper to the CUBE toiletry bag
Once all our fabric is crocheted, it is time to place the zipper.
Secure the zipper with the pins to one end of the fabric and sew it into place. You can sew it by hand or machine.
Fold the fabric and sew the other side of the zipper with the other end of the fabric in the same way you did before.
3. Sew all the openings
Once you have the zipper in place, turn over your crochet toiletry bag and stitch along the dotted line. Again, you can choose to do this sewing by hand, machine or make it with the help of your crochet hook and cotton thread as shown in the image.
After having sewn the two openings to the ends of the zipper, you must sew the 4 remaining openings in the corners by folding the crochet tapestry bagas shown in the image.
4. Decorate the zipper and We are READY!
To finish, you can give a funny touch to your crochet tapestry bagdecorating the zipper handle.
On this occasion I have decided to put 4 pompoms grouped in pairs using the colors I used for the base of the toiletry bag.
If you have ever worked using the Tapestry technique, you will know that it requires more patience than working with a single thread. You have to be very attentive to changes in color and avoid the threads get tangled, but it’s very funny and the result totally worth it! I’m already cooking up the next project to crochet with several threads…
Remember, if you liked this tutorial and it has inspired you, comment and share your discovery! And of course, once you have finished your Tapestry CUBE Crochet Toiletry Bag, do not forget to brag about the result on social networks with the hashtag #tapestryCUBE and #creativaatelier.